A father and daughter showdown is shaping up in the 2022 elections as President Duterte is supposedly set to file his certificate of candidacy (COC) for vice president on Monday, Nov. 15.
Communications Secretary Martin Andanar announced this development as he joined Duterte and his long-time aide Senator Bong Go at the Commission on Elections (Comelec) in Manila on Saturday afternoon, Nov. 13.
Go withdrew his COC for vice president and instead filed his COC for president, as a substitute for Grepor Belgica of the Pederalismo Ng Dugong Dakilang Samahan (PDDS).
In a subsequent phone interview with the Manila Bulletin after the events at Comelec, Andanar said that it was President Duterte’s “plan” to file his COC on Monday, the last day for the substitution of candidates for the 2022 elections.
“Yun ang plano niya (That’s his plan),” he said.
When asked to clarify the position the President will be running for, Andanar said: “Pwede VP sa Lunes (He may file his COC for vice president on Monday).”
There were reports that Duterte was thinking of running for senator instead of retiring from politics after the end of of Palace term next year. This possible scenario was welcomed by Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque, who is also aspiring to run for senator.
On Saturday, while reporters ar Comelec were trying to get a statement from President Duterte about his rumored Senate bid, Andanar stepped in and said that the President will be pursuing his original plan to run for vice president.
A reporter asked Duterte if he will be going against his daughter, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio who filed her COC for vice president under Lakas-CMD (Christian Muslim Democrats) earlier that day. The President responded, “Anak ko nag-file na ba (Did my daughter file her COC already)?”
At this point, Andanar took over and reiterated that President Duterte will run for vice president.
“Basta ganito: Sa Monday, babalik si Presidente dito sa Comelec para magfa-file ng kanyang candidacy for vice president (Let’s put it this way: President Duterte will return to Comelec on Monday to file his COC for vice president),” he said.
“So, abangan natin ang susunod na kabanata (let’s just wait for what’s going to happen next). We all know that this is a developing story,” he added.
Duterte surprised the public last month when it was Go who filed a COC for vice president. The President likewise announced his decision to retire from politics.
The President had expressed previously his intention to run for vice president because of his love for the country and his desire to continue his programs.
Roque, on the other hand, did not file his COC for senator after Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio refused to give in to calls to run for president. Roque had said that he will only run if Carpio runs for the highest seat in government.
Recently, Roque said that he might run for Senate after all following protests in New York against his nomination for a seat at the International Law Commission (ILC), a position that he eventually failed to get.