Muntinlupa mayor backs proposal for non-mandatory wearing of face shields

Published November 8, 2021, 12:55 PM

by Jonathan Hicap

Muntinlupa Mayor Jaime Fresnedi is supporting the proposal for the non-mandatory wearing of face shields.

Metropolitan Manila Development Authority Chairman Benhur Abalos said on Monday, Nov. 8, that the official position of the 17 Metro Manila mayors during their meeting on Nov. 7 was to do away with face shields except in hospitals, health centers, and public transport vehicles.

A woman wearing a face shield in a mall (Lea Mancenon-Ranilo)

“[In] other places, except those listed as critical by the DILG [Department of the Interior and Local Government], there will be no more face shields. That is the official position of Metro Manila (mayors) that we will bring to the IATF [Inter-Agency Task Force],” Abalos told DZMM Teleradyo.

He said Metro Manila mayors are supporting the position of DILG Sec. Eduardo Año to scrap the wearing of face shields except in hospitals.

Last September, President Rodrigo Duterte scrapped the use of face shields outdoors except in situations, places and high-risk activities under 3Cs–closed spaces, crowded areas, and close contact.

Last December, the IATF issued Resolution No. 88 that stated:“all persons are mandated ​to wear full-coverage face shields together with face masks, earloop masks, indigenous, reusable, or do-it-yourself masks, or other facial protective equipment which can effectively lessen the transmission of COVID-19, whenever they go out of their residences, pursuant to existing guidelines issued by the national government subject to fair and humane penalties or punishments that may be imposed by LGUs or implemented by law enforcement agencies, respectively.”

In Muntinlupa, City Ordinance 2020-109, passed in July last year, requires all persons “to wear face masks at all times outside of their residences, at the workplace, when entering government buildings and offices, and while in public places.”

Under the ordinance, adult violators will be fined P300 for the first offense, P500 for the second, and P1,000 for the third and subsequent offenses.

If the violator is a minor, a stern warning is given for the first offense, withdrawal of scholarship grant from the local government or P300 fine for non-grantee for the second offense, and P500 for third and subsequent offenses. The fines will be imposed on the parents or guardians.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["metro","news","news"]
[2857399,3004628,3004617,3004614,3004596,3004570,3004563]