DOJ's drug war probe results will be made public, says Roque

Published October 8, 2021, 2:23 PM

by Argyll Cyrus Geducos

Malacañang has assured that the public will have access to the results of the Department of Justice’s (DOJ’s) ongoing investigation on the administration’s bloody drug war.

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque (OPS / FILE PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)

Roque made the statement after the United Nations (UN) Human Rights Commission called on the Philippine government to make the drug war probe public.

In an online presser on Friday, October 8, Roque assured the public that the government is not hiding anything regarding the administration’s infamous program.

“Wala pong tintago yung imebstigasyon ng DOJ dahil kapag natapos po ang imbestigasyon at kinakailangang mag sampa ang kaso isasapubliko po lahat niyan (The DOJ investigation is transparent because after the investigation and if cases should be filed, all of those will be made public),” he said.

“Lahat ng sinasampang records sa ating hukuman ay public documents (All records being submitted to the courts are public documents),” he added.

On a related issue, Roque agreed with International Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutor Karim Khan that the ICC’s probe on the drug war will reveal the truth and ensure accountability.

However, he said the High Court will be having difficulties unearthing the “truth.”

“Sana po pero (That’s what I wish but) without the cooperation of the state, mahihirapan po sila (it will be hard for them to) to uncover the truth,” he added.

The Palace official, meanwhile, encouraged those who think they are victims of human rights abuses to file a case in the local courts.

“Kung meron talagang mga me reklamo laban sa drug war, isampa natin dito sa Pilipinas nang mabigyan kayo ng katarungan (If there really are complaints about the drug war, file your cases here in the country so justice can be served),” he said.

Last month, a pre-trial chamber of the ICC green-lit the said probe, citing a “reasonable basis” to believe that crimes against humanity had been committed in the course of the anti-illegal drugs campaign.

Malacañang has insisted that it will not cooperate with the said probe, citing the country’s withdrawal from the Rome Statute.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2832821,2878735,2878718,2878715,2878729,2878732,2878710]