Ending speculation about his political ambitions, presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong”’ Marcos Jr. yesterday said he was planning to adopt and field President Duterte as his running mate in the May 9, 2022 national elections.
He also said he would come up with the list of his Senate slate in the next few days, adding that he is still completing the roster of senatorial candidates.
Marcos admitted that he and the Partido Federal ng Pilipinas (PFP) had earlier planned to have Duterte as his vice presidential candidate, during their initial talks.
But he said the plan fell through after Duterte announced his retirement from politics last Saturday, which is why no one was with him to file a certificate of candidacy (COC) for vice president.
Senator Christopher ‘’Bong’’ Go, former Special Assistant of President Duterte, filed his COC as vice presidential candidate last weekend.
“I’d be very candid with you. The reason why (no one filed for vice president under PFP) is this – the original plan was for us to adopt PRRD for our vice presidential candidate, pero sa mga nangyari noong nakaraang Sabado eh nagbago lahat ng plano (But this did not happen because of what happened last Saturday). Kaya’t ngayon eh nag-konsulta kami, ‘yung partido at syempre lahat nung mga ating ibang kasamahan na kung anong dapat gawin, and what do we do now and so that is where it is (That is why we made consultations, the parties and our other friends on what to do),” the former senator said.
In seeking the highest elective office in the land, the only son and namesake of President Ferdinand Marcos said he could heal the politically divided, economically-fractured, and pandemic-plagued country.
“Join me in this noblest of causes, and we will succeed,” Marcos, popularly known as “Bongbong” and more recently, BBM, said in a three-minute speech.
“If we have learned anything in this time of COVID-19 pandemic, it is that each of us, no matter our station, is in need of the help of our fellow Filipinos,” he said.
The 64-year-old presidential candidate is the fourth politician to formalize intent to succeed Duterte who is set to bow out of office next year after a mandatory six-year tenure.
“’Yung sa Senado naman, we will be providing you the list of our senatorial candidates in the very near future, within days, within days from now. Kung mapupuno ang, ‘yung twelve na punong slate (When I can fill up the 12 senatorial slots) I cannot say for sure yet, but at the very least eh siguro (maybe) we will field seven, eight, or nine candidates. Or baka mabuo pa ‘yung twelve (Or we can fill up the 12 slots),” he disclosed.
Young Marcos’ political career has spanned over three decades – as provincial vice governor, governor, congressman and senator.