Jeanette Aceveda has been ruled out of discus throw in the Tokyo Paralympics Sunday, Aug. 29 after she and her coach Bernard Buen tested positive for COVID-19.
Philippine Paralympic Committee (PPC) President Mike Barredo disclosed this in a statement, adding that Aceveda and Buen were already brought to an outside quarantine facility in Tokyo in compliance with the Olympic/Paralympic Playbook.
Aceveda and Buen underwent the mandatory daily saliva antigen test followed by a confirmatory RT-PCR test at the Tokyo Paralympic Village as required under the Playbook.
“Jeanette is greatly disappointed that she will have to withdraw from her event,” Barredo said. “Although she would not be able to fulfill her dream to compete in the Paralympics and represent the Philippines, Jeanette still hopes there will be more chances for her to make this come true in the future.”
Aceveda was supposedly scheduled to compete on Tuesday, Aug. 31.
Aceveda was the second para athlete in the PH team that tested positive for the virus. Prior to the team’s departure from Manila last week, para powerlifter Achele Guion also yielded a positive result that ruled her out of participation.
Overall, six members from the PH Paralympic delegation team tested positive for the virus. Also testing positive last week that hindered them to join the square were Guion’s coach Tony Taguibao, PH team’s chief of mission Francis Diaz and para athletics coach Joel Deriada.
Despite the setbacks, Barredo is optimistic that the team can still deliver in the quadrennial event.
“Our para athletes are more determined than ever for a chance to achieve Paralympic success and glory for our country,” Barredo said.