As the distribution of cash assistance (ayuda) in some areas in Metro Manila started today, August 11, the Philippine National Police (PNP) has mapped out contingency plans to ensure that it will not turn into a super spreader event.
PNP chief Gen. Guillermo Lorenzo Eleazar said what the police do not want to be repeated was the incident last week when hundreds of people flocked to various vaccination sites which violated the rule on social distancing.
“We have already coordinated with the Local Government Units of Metro Manila on this regard. Our focus is to ensure an orderly distribution of cash assistance because they also have to be protected from the coronavirus infection,” said Eleazar.
Eleazar inspected some of the ayuda distribution sites in Quezon City and Manila on Wednesday morning.
Metro Manila was placed under Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) from August 6 to 20. The national government has released almost P11 billion to assist poor families that would be affected by the lockdown.
Eleazar said policemen will be present in distribution centers, the instruction to them is to ensure that the minimum public health safety protocols are observed.
He also reminded the public that those on the list will be given the cash assistance, regardless if they are already vaccinated or not.