Duterte says Robredo will replace him if he dies of COVID-19

Published August 10, 2021, 8:51 AM

by Genalyn Kabiling

President Duterte is itching to go out and meet the people even at the risk of getting infected with the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

President Rodrigo Duterte shakes hand with Vice President Leni Robredo in this file photo from Malacañang.

Besides, the President has accepted that Vice President Leni Robredo would be the next in line if he gets infected with the dreaded disease while performing his job.

“Magplano ako, sabihin ko sa kanya huwag mo akong pilitin, Dok, na hindi makalabas kasi ‘yung mga tao gusto akong makita (I’ll my call my doctor. I will plan and tell my doctor not to prevent me from going out because the people want to see me),” Duterte said during a televised address Monday, August 9.

“Bahala na ang Diyos sa akin kung anong mangyari. Kung dadapuan ako ng Delta, wala na. Si — nandiyan naman si Leni Robredo ang sa succession. Eh ‘di kahit sa kanya na (It’s up to God whatever happens. If I get infected with Delta, it’s over. Leni Robredo is there in the succession. She can have it),” he added.

Duterte, 76 and vaccinated against the virus, asserted that he was ready to face death. Duterte’s movement has been limited by his security team as part of a safety and health precaution against the outbreak.

“‘Pag iyan ba ang suwerte ko sa pagsisilbi ng tao, mamamatay ako, eh ‘di mamamatay ako. Lahat naman tayo dito may panahon-panahon sa mundo (If that’s my fate, if I die while serving the people, so be it. We have our respective time in the world),” he added.

The country continued to battle a pandemic, that weakened the economy and displaced many people. Over 78,000 active cases of coronavirus have been reported so far. Strict lockdown remained in effect in Metro Manila and four other places to slow down the coronavirus transmission.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2782879,2913244,2913258,2913233,2913221,2913211,2913208]