No disrespect meant to Donaire, says Casimero representative

Published June 30, 2021, 4:20 PM

by Carlo Anolin

A representative speaking on behalf of John Riel Casimero stood on their ground that they meant no disrespect towards WBC bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire.

WBC bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire and WBO titleholder John Riel Casimero (Photos from AFP and Sean Gibbons)

Marc Yao, Nonito, and Rachael Donaire, the wife, trainer, and manager of the WBC champion, discussed several issues during a live Instagram session on Tuesday, June 29, surrounding the upcoming all-Filipino showdown at the Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California on Aug. 14.

One of which, as cleared by Yao, is that Casimero didn’t mean any disrespect to Donaire when reports surfaced that the “Filipino Flash” did not accept a sparring session with the WBO champion during his early days in the professional scene, especially when he was just making his name on US soil.

“He (Casimero) didn’t mean to disrespect you,” Yao told the fuming Donaire. “He is actually respecting you, you’re a future Hall of Famer at nagagalak siyang makalaban ka. Kinuwento niya lang ‘yong experience niya, that’s the truth champ.”

READ: Donaire-Casimero showdown now in limbo

Donaire, for his part, said he didn’t mind the reports but what irked him is how the Casimero camp are trying to “demean” the Filipinos with their behavior ahead of the bantamweight unification bout.

“If you heard from all the Filipinos, I’ve helped them all. Kung sino man ‘yong pumasok, kung sino man ‘yong bago na they came to me, I’ve helped them all,” said the 38-year-old Donaire. “A hundred percent. I even put money for them.”

READ: Donaire on Casimero: He’s a tough guy but I can knock out anybody

One thing led to another as both camps jumped ship to another topic regarding the delay in the Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency (VADA) testing application by Casimero’s camp.

Donaire said his statements regarding the VADA testing were “mocked” by the Casimero camp, which prompted the WBC champion to eventually lose interest in engaging and negotiating with them.

The Talibon, Bohol native boxer was also mad over the “disrespectful” behavior of individuals at Casimero’s camp, including strength and conditioning coach Memo Heredia and Manny Pacquiao Promotions president Sean Gibbons.

“Alam mo goal ko ‘yon na maging undisputed. But the moment that you disrespect my wife, the moment that you disrespected me and my family, wala akong pakiaalam na maging world champion ako,” said Donaire. “Because I’m here to protect my family. I’m here to protect my wife. Now that is all I have to say about that and there’s nothing that can change my mind.

“You guys disrespected me, you guys have disrespected my wife when I have not said any single thing that is bad about you guys. I rest my case on that,” added the four-division world champion.

Rachel and Gibbons have been going back-and-forth on social media, which actually rooted in the issues surrounding the VADA testing before things went slightly personal.

Over the weekend, the VADA announced that both fighters have enrolled in their testing while WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman that the fight will push through.

Donaire (41-6, 27 KOs) is coming off an impressive knockout win with a vintage performance over Frenchman Nordine Oubaali to bag the WBC belt last month while Casimero (30-4, 21 KOs), 31, last saw action with an explosive finish over Ghanaian foe Duke Micah last September.

READ: Donaire eyes Inoue rematch by end of 2021

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["boxing","sports","sports"]
[2745867,2820229,2819889,2819899,2819893,2819881,2819878]