The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said there will be no voter registration in areas under the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) until June 30.
“Being under MECQ, voter registration is automatically suspended in those areas,” Comelec Spokesman James Jimenez said in a virtual press briefing Tuesday, June 15.
“Whereas in areas under General Community Quarantine (GCQ) or better, voter registration will be ongoing, including Metro Manila,” he added.
President Duterte on Monday, June 14, placed Santiago City, Cagayan (Cagayan Valley), Apayao, Ifugao (Cordillera Administrative Region), Bataan (Central Luzon), Lucena City (Calabarzon), Puerto Princesa (Mimaropa), Naga City (Bicol Region), Iloilo City, Iloilo (Western Visayas), Negros Oriental (Central Visayas), Zamboanga City, Zamboanga Sibugay, Zamboanga del Sur, Zamboanga del Norte (Zamboanga Peninsula), Cagayan de Oro City (Northern Mindanao), Davao City (Davao Region), and Butuan City, Agusan del Sur, Dinagat Islands, Surigao Del Sur (Caraga) under MECQ from June 16 to 30 amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
Last month, the poll body said it has received more than three million applications for voter registration for the May 2022 national and local polls.
Data released by the poll body showed 3,483,298 voter registration applications were filed from January 20, 2020 to May 15, 2021.
More than 578,000 applications were filed from January to March 2020 prior to the pandemic.
The other 2,904,347 applications were filed between September 2020 to May 2021 amid the pandemic.