Cebu asks IATF to allow return of sports activities

Published May 20, 2021, 3:35 PM

by Calvin Cordova 

CEBU CITY – The provincial government of Cebu has asked the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) to allow the resumption of sports activities in the province.

The request was made through a resolution filed by Cebu Third District Board Member John Ismael Borgonia and was eventually approved by the Provincial Board last May 17.

“The conduct of sport activities namely, volleyball and basketball, should be allowed, provided only players of the same barangay shall participate in the same sports activity,” the resolution said.

Borgonia said allowing sports activities should be supported by an ordinance in a certain local government unit.

Those areas that will be allowed to hold sports activities should enforce a 50 percent capacity in venues where certain games will be held.

Minimum health standards must also be observed in sports venues, Borgonia said.

Sports activities are still not allowed even in areas under Modified General Community Quarantine (MGCQ), the most relaxed community quarantine.

But Borgonia noted the importance of the resumption of sports events.

“The resumption of sports activities imparts the values of self-discipline, teamwork, and excellence to all of us,” Borgonia said.

“The local government units of the province of Cebu should be able to encourage sports programs and uplift the development of a healthy and alert citizenry by allowing its residents to participate in sports events namely volleyball and basketball,” Borgonia added.

Cebu province has been under MGCQ status since July of last year.

As May 19, the province has 15,256 confirmed COVID-19 cases but its active cases had gone down to 495.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","visayas","news"]
[2708232,2841434,2841427,2841423,2841414,2841402,2841378]