The showdown between Filipino boxing legend Manny Pacquiao and American welterweight contender Mikey Garcia still has its chances of being materialized.
Do not count it out just yet, at least for Garcia.
“Well, nothing yet. Nothing concrete. We’ve been having the conversation with Team Pacquiao for several months now, like two months. [It] hasn’t happened, you know,” Garcia, who owns a 40-1 record with 30 knockouts, told Boxing Social.
“We haven’t been able to secure that fight, but we hope we do. We’re still in the conversation. We’re still basically in the race.”
Garcia, 33, said Team Pacquiao had brought up few other names other than him. But since they weren’t able to secure those as well, then there is hope for the American boxer.
Arnold Vegafria, Pacquiao’s business manager, earlier hinted that the fighting senator is likely to Garcia, a four-division world champion, in Dubai later this year.
Prior to that, the negotiation between the camp of Pacquiao and WBO welterweight champion Terence Crawford also fell apart due to funding woes by Abu Dhabi investors. The mega bout was supposedly scheduled for June 5.
The 42-year-old Pacquiao, who got stripped of his WBA super welterweight belt and was declared “champion in recess” due to inactivity in late January, has not fought since scoring a split decision win over Keith Thurman in July 2019 to improve up at 62-7-2 record on top of 39 KOs.
Garcia, for his part, last saw action in February last year with a unanimous decision win against Pacquiao’s former foe in Jessie Vargas.
“I can never just sit around and wait for one opponent. But if I’m still in the conversation, then I’mma wait and see how that irons out,” said Garcia. “If if it happens, great. But if it doesn’t, if there’s no way that the fight would happen, that at that point I would definitely move on to someone else.”