International Boxing Federation (IBF) super flyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas may have a few months of rest before the Filipino fighter returns to action later this year.
MP (Manny Pacquiao) Promotions chief Sean Gibbons said Wednesday, April 21, that nothing is definite at the moment, even when Ancajas is coming back to the US to train.
However, the longtime boxing promoter said it might be later this year.
“I look for his ring return September, October so he will come when the date is locked in,” Gibbons said in a message to Manila Bulletin.
Ancajas returned to the country early Tuesday from the US, exactly 10 days after beating Mexican Jonathan Javier Rodriguez with a unanimous decision win last April 10 at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut.
The 29-year-old Ancajas extended his title defense to nine, which improved his record to 33 wins with 22 knockouts, one loss and two draws. It was his first fight in more than a year.
Unlike last year when Ancajas had problems going to the US due to the lockdowns because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Gibbons said this wouldn’t be a problem this time.
“He has a three-year US Visa now and can come and go anytime,” he said.
Prior to the title bout, Gibbons said that they are interested in facing Thailand’s Srisaket Sor Rungvisai, a former World Boxing Council super flyweight champion with a record of 50-5-1.
Other options for Ancajas are fights against WBC and WBA super flyweight champion Juan Francisco Estrada of Mexico, and Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez of Nicaragua.