CAVITE – Governor Jonvic Remulla on Friday said 95 percent of intensive care unit (ICU) beds within the province are currently occupied, reiterating how overwhelmed hospitals are amid the surging pandemic.
In an announcement via Facebook live, Remulla said the number of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases in Cavite has been fluctuating between 1,844 and 185 cases per day over the past weeks.
Aside from almost reaching full capacity, hospitals are also short-handed.
“Sa totoo lang po, eto ang sitwasyon natin – 95 percent ng ating ICU beds ay occupied, 30 percent reduction in the frontliner force dahil marami ay nagka-reaction o exposure sa COVID (The reality is, here’s our situation – 95 percent of our ICU beds are occupied and there’s a 30 percent reduction in the frontline force because many of them have had a reaction or exposure to COVID), Remulla said.
“Sa kapitolyo mismo, in the last one month, we had 60 infections, 4 deaths. At ang mga namatay ay between 40 and 51 years old (In the Provincial Capitol, over the last month, we’ve had 60 infections, 4 deaths. And those who passed away are between 40 and 51 years old),” he added.
The governor reminded his constituents to follow health protocols to avoid spreading the virus. He also encouraged people not to be pessimistic against the COVID-19 vaccine.
As of April 15, the Provincial Health Office has recorded 7,649 active cases, the highest count in Calabarzon (Cavite-Laguna-Batangas-Rizal-Quezon).