Everything is starting to fall into place a day before the Philippines welcomes its first batch of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccines, and the COVID-19 Vaccination Program Act couldn’t have come at a better time with the number of coronavirus cases on the rise anew.
These developments, together with the latest stories on the deadly PNP-PDEA ‘misencounter’, are among our curated stories for our morning update on Saturday, Feb. 27, 2021.
- President Duterte has signed into law the COVID-19 Vaccination Program Act of 2021 that speeds up the procurement and administration of coronavirus vaccines, and establishes an indemnity fund for those who may show adverse side effects after getting the shot.
President Duterte will lead the welcome party for the 600,000 doses of Sinovac vaccines, the first COVID-19 vaccines to arrive in the country, which will arrive Sunday, Feb. 28, at 5 p.m.
- And the arrival of the vaccines couldn’t have come at a better time as the country logged 2,651 new cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Friday, Feb. 26, 2021, the highest single-day rise for this year.
- Now that it has been tapped by President Duterte to be the lone agency that would probe the Feb. 24 encounter between elements of the PDEA and PNP, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is saying that it will be up to the task to determine what went wrong in the incident that claimed four lives.
- President signed into law the Coconut Farmers and Industry Trust Fund Act, or more popularly known as the coco levy fund law, that will dispose of P75-billion worth of coco levy assets in the next five years to establish a trust fund for the benefit of the coconut farmers and development of the industry.
- All Souls Day, Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve have been declared as special working days in 2021 to boost more economic activity.
- While netizens continue to call out the Department of Education (DepEd) for planning to extend the school year which will result in a shorter break, there is no clear indication of a two-month summer vacation this school year.
- The Philippine Navy (PN) officially welcomed the future BRP Antonio Luna (FF 151), its second missile-capable frigate, during an arrival ceremony held at Pier 13, South Harbor in Manila on Friday, Feb. 26.
- DOTr says the extension of LRT-2 to as far as Antipolo will be opened for partial operations on April 25, 2021.