‘Stand down’, failed bidders of Meralco 1,800-MW supply deal told

Published February 16, 2021, 9:48 AM

by Ellson Quismorio

A consumer advocate group has told disqualified bidders from the Manila Electric Company’s (Meralco) 1,800-megawatt (MW) supply deal to “stand down” and let the competitive selection process (CSP) move forward.

(MB FILE, KJ ROSALES)

“Meralco announced last week only six of the nine bidders have qualified to take part in the bidding for the supply of 1,800 megawatts for 20 years,” Angelo Palmones, president of the Alyansa ng mga Grupong Haligi ng Agham at Teknolohiya Para sa Mamamayan (AGHAM), said in a statement Tuesday, Feb. 16.

“AGHAM’s concern is that the disqualified bidders will attempt to get in the way and interrupt the process moving forward, in which there is simply no more room or time, as the bidding process has already been pushed back previously,” he said.

Palmones identified the three failed bidders as Solar Philippines Central Luzon (which is bidding to supply 200 MW), Sta. Cruz Solar Energy of AC Energy (150 MW), and Kingstone Energy (1,200 MW).

“The disqualified participants should simply stand down, and not appeal any further, as this will slow down the entire CSP further,” he said, echoing his group’s call for the urgent completion of the process “in order to secure the sustainability of the country’s long-term energy situation.”

Palmones described the reports on the possible interference of the defeated bidders as worrisome “most especially because our country and economy urgently need additional power supply in the coming years for development and infrastructure, given the thrust of administration to build and grow.”

The AGHAM president said government must endeavor protect the bidding process as it already has a good track record of being above-board and compliant in all aspects.

“This will lead to the deserving contracts being signed for the much-needed additional power supply of the country. With the CSP being a very strict and highly-monitored process, both by government and regulator, it would be unfair if moves are made to block the success or signings of the winning and deserving bidders.”

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2622402,2917427,2917435,2917423,2917408,2917414,2917404]