PANGASINAN – Cagayan Vice Governor Melvin “Boy” Vargas admitted on Saturday that he has tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
In a Facebook post, Vargas said he was confirming that he had been infected with the coronavirus so that he could immediately go on isolation, while paving the way for contact tracing.
He said he was asymptomatic, and hoped to recover immediately.
“Ikinalulungkot ko pong ipaalam sa inyo na ako po ay nag-positibo sa
COVID-19 at bagamat akoy asymptomatic at mild lamang ang aking kaso,
nararapat lamang na ipaalam ko ito sa publiko na aking pinalilingkuran.
Akin pong inaabisuhan ang lahat ng aking nakasalamuha na mangyari
lamang na mag-isolate upang masiguro ang kaligtasan ng lahat,” Vargas posted on his FB page.
(I am saddened to inform you that I have tested positive for COVID-19. Although I am asymptomatic, and this is just a mild case, it is but appropriate that the public knows about my condition. I am informing everyone that I had contact with to isolate yourselves to ensure everyone’s safety)
The official also reminded all citizens to observe the health protocols being implemented.
The Vice Governor’s Office and the Provincial Council Office at the provincial capitol are now on lockdown for disinfection.
Meanwhile, a source said that, aside from the vice governor, two of his drivers and a legal consultant have also tested positive for the viral disease.