“No, thank you.”
President Duterte rejected rumors that he is seeking to extend his term as the country’s leader, saying he is already done with politics.
Duterte made the statement after rumors of a term extension surfaced when lawmakers renewed their push for amendments in the Constitution last week.
In his speech at the inauguration of the Metro Manila Skyway Stage 3 Project in Quezon City, Duterte said he has no plans of staying in Malacañang beyond his term.
“Term extension? My God,” Duterte said on Thursday during his first public event this year.
“Miski ibigay mo sa akin on a silver platter, miski ibigay mo sa akin libre another 10 years, sabihin ko sa ‘yo: Putang ina mo, iyo na lang ‘yan. Tapos na ako. (Even if you give it to me on a silver platter. Even if you give me another 10 years for free, I’ll tell you: You son of a bitch, you take it. I’m done),” he added.
President Duterte has been consistent in his stand that he will not go beyond his six-year term. His last day as chief executive is on June 30, 2022.
In his press briefing last week, Presidential spokesman Harry Roque dismissed claims that the move to revive talks on charter change was aimed to extend the terms of officials, particularly that of the chief executive.
He reiterated that President Duterte himself does not want to go beyond his term of office.
“The President has made it clear: Wala po siyang kahit anong kagustuhan na manatili ng isang minuto man lang (He has no desire to stay even for just a minute) beyond his term of office on June 30, 2022,” he said.
It was reported last week that House Speaker Lord Allan Velasco instructed House constitutional amendments panel chair Alfredo Garbin to tackle proposed amendments to economic provisions in the Constitution.
Meanwhile, pro-Duterte senators Francis Tolentino and Ronald Dela Rosa, meanwhile, are pushing to change provisions on “democratic representation and the economic provisions of the Constitution.”