‘Butete’ kills 3 in Palo food poisoning incident

Published December 30, 2020, 9:42 AM

by Restituto Cayubit

PALO, Leyte – Three people died in a food poisoning in a Leyte town, a report from the Regional Office 8 (PRO8) based in Camp Ruperto Kangleon, Campetic, this town, said on  Tuesday.

PRO8 Regional Information Officer Lt. Col. Ma. Bella Rentuaya told The Manila Bulletin that the incident happened in Sitio Patag, Barangay Tabing, Tabango, Leyte, at about at about 11:30 a.m. Monday, December 28.

Rentuaya identified the victims who reportedly died of food poisoning as Restituto S. Sumalinog, 63; Lucricia P. Anislagon, 49; and Ramil O, Catam-isan, 40. 

She added that those who were hospitalized were Jolito P. Dalut, 25; Rodulfo Hiki, 26;  Lucina J. Hiki, 24; and Beinvinida  Y. Sumalinog, 53.

The victims were all residents of Sitio Patag, Brgy. Tabing, Tabango, Leyte.

Rentuaya reported that based on initial investigation disclosed that at about 2 p.m. Monday, a certain Corazon M. Yaon brought a pufferfish, locally known as “butete”, to Restituto Sumalinog.

Sumalinog cooked the fish, and brought it to their barbecue stand at about 6:30 p.m., and offered it to their customers for free while they engaged in a drinking session, she added.

Rentuaya further reported that at around 10:00 pm. Restituto, Anislagon and Catam-isan, who allegedly partook of the fish’s liver, suddenly vomited and lost consciousness. They were brought to the Tabango Community Hospital and were pronounced dead-on-arrival.
 Meanwhile, Dalut, and Rodulfo and Lucina Hiki were brought to the same hospital, and were later transferred to the Leyte Provincial Hospital here. They are now in stable condition.

Beinvinida Sumalinog has already recovered, and has already gone home, Rentuaya said.