Andales wins as boxing resumes in Luzon

Published December 9, 2020, 2:55 PM

by Waylon Galvez

Ar-Ar Andales scored a third round technical knockout win over Zandre Padiran in their minimum weight collision that highlighted the return of boxing in Luzon after a successful four-card fight by the Quibor Boxing Promotion last Sunday in Rizal, Laguna.

The 21-year-old Andales, the reigning World Boxing Foundation minimum champion from Cavite, punished Padiran with combinations to the head in the latter stage of the third round.

That forced the corner of Padiran to discontinue prior to the fourth round, giving Andales the victory, which improved his professional record to 13 wins with two defeats.

It was Andales’ third straight win after back-to-back defeats.

Three other fighters from the Quibors boxing stable scored contrasting wins, including mini flyweight Jerome Baloro, mini flyweight Jericho Gatchalian and flyweight Reynold Vargas.

Baloro won via TKO against Mark Jequinto of Berwela Stable, Gatchalian earned a victory with a first round knockout on Jumari Mansueto of Onyok Stable and Vargas scored a unanimous win on Michael Sarili of Muntinlupa City Stable.

Quibors boxing manager and promoter Gerry Balmes said Wednesday that while holding the event was difficult, it was all worth it as they finally held a fight event in Luzon.

“Medyo mahirap ang pinagdaanan namin dahil sinunod namin lahat ng health protocols ng IATF, which is prescribed by Games and Amusement Board (GAB),” said Balmes.

“This event is a pilot test kaya dapat maging role model tayo ng ibang boxing promotion dito sa Luzon. Definitely, magkakaroon ulit tayo ng boxing event early next year, kasi may mga boxers pa kami na hindi pa napapalaban.”

It was the third boxing event in the country after local promotions in the Visayas and Mindanao regions even with the COVID-19 pandemic, which halted the fights on the local scene since March.

Last month, Omega Sports Promotions held an event in Mandaue, Cebu – the first event under strict health protocols because of the COVID-19 pandemic, and then the Sanman Boxing Promotions had its own event in General Santos City early this month.

GAB chairman Baham Mitra said he appreciates the effort of the local promoters, and he expects more to come in 2021.

“As GAB chair I am happy that finally boxing has resumed not only in Visayas and Mindanao but also in Luzon thru Quibors,” said Mitra.

“I am confident many others will follow after this event was successfully held following all the safety protocols prescribed by the IATF and implementation by GAB,” added the former Palawan governor.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["boxing","sports","sports"]
[2568432,2636212,2636146,2636124,2636048,2635963,2635938]