A three-year-old boy died in Las Piñas Monday night when a fire caused by an unattended candle burned 27 houses including his own in Barangay Daniel Fajardo.
Las Piñas City Bureau of Fire and Protection chief, Supt. Arthur Sawate identified the victim as Steven Telmo, of Lopez Compound, Barangay Daniel Fajardo, Las Pinas City.
Sawate said the victim’s mother went out to buy a diaper at a nearby store when the fire started at about 9:36 p.m.
The grandmother of the victim said there was already thick smoke in their home when she came out of the bathroom and rushed out to ask for help to save Steven and his elder brother who were trapped on the second floor.
A fire volunteer who tried to save Steven and his brother suffered burns and bruises all over his body and was brought at the Las Pinas District Hospital for treatment.
Sawate said Steven’s brother was saved.
The fire was put under control about 10:37 p.m.