Former WBO bantamweight champion Marlon Tapales makes his much-awaited comeback as he highlights the five-bout fight card of the Sanman Boxing Promotions on Nov. 21 at the Sanman Gym in General Santos City.
This is the first fight for 28-year-old Tapales in more than 10 months after he absorbed a loss to Japanese Ryosuke Iwasa last Dec. 7 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, USA.
With a ring record of 33 wins (16KOs) with three losses, Tapales, who belongs to Sanman Boxing Promotions, will face off with Eden Sonsona in a light welterweight (132 lbs.) 10-round fight.
JC Manangquil, Chief Operating Officer of the Sanman Boxing Promotions, said Thursday that they are all set for the event, particularly with the health protocols of the government to combat the spread of COVID-19.
“We are excited and we are all happy that finally we’ll have this boxing event in General Santos City,” Manangquil told Manila Bulletin. “We’re all set, we did all the necessary things – especially with the health protocols that we are implementing for a safe event.”
“We really want to help the boxer, that’s why the return of boxing competition is very good for us, that finally we’re allowed by the government to have boxing events and this is a big boost.”
The event is the second boxing competition to be approved by the government through the Joint Administrative Order (JAO) under the tripartite agencies of the Games and Amusements Board (GAB), the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) and the Department of Health (DOH).
Cebu staged a successful fight card last month via the Omega Boxing Promotions which was sanctioned by GAB.
Another outfit, Quibors Boxing Stable, has already received clearance from GAB although it is awaiting confirmation from the Local Government Unit in Bacoor, Cavite for a five-card event.
“We are glad that boxing has continued despite the pandemic after the boxing restart in Cebu last October,” said GAB chairman Abraham “Baham” Mitra, former governor of Palawan.
“This is proof of hard work and perseverance from the stakeholders in complying with the health and safety protocols set by the IATF thru the joint admin order of the PSC, GAB and DOH.”
“This confirms that boxing will survive in the new normal. We are calling all the stakeholders to follow suit. We at GAB are always willing to help in implementing safety protocols.”
“I hope they understand that as the regulating agency we are responsible to make sure that everything will be done safely as it’s our mandate to look after the welfare of our boxers,” he said.
Also seeing action in the five-card event are four other fighters of the Sanman Boxing stable, including Aston Francis Palicte, Dave Apolinario, Michael Casama and Joey Canoy.
Palicte will take on Markrey Taday, Apolinario battles Bonjun Loperez, while Michael Casama meets Vergil De Guia, and Canoy clashes against Jovab Lucas all in an 8-rounder.