Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said that the Yolanda Permanent Housing Program has been given an additional P7.4 billion to enable the government to construct more houses to be distributed for free to the victims of the super typhoon in 2013.
In a Facebook Live video, Nograles, Task Force Yolanda head, said that their work continues even with the COVID-19 pandemic, noting that they have constructed 68 percent of the total number of housing units they plan to build.
“Ang pinaka-target po namin, originally was 195,388 na housing units at so far, nakakumpleto na po kami 133,107 housing units (Our target was originally 195,388 housing units and so far we have completed 133,107 housing units),” he said Saturday.
“Sa Regions 6, 7, 8 ang karamihan pero meron din po sa Region 4-B at sa Region 8 sa Caraga region… Karamihan na po ‘yan ay na-turn-over na po pero meron pa tayong ongoing construction (Most of them are in the Western, Central, and Easter Visayas regions but we also have housing units in the Mimaropa and the Caraga region),” he added.
Nograles revealed that the budget for the YPHP actually increased, allowing them to build more houses for the victims of super typhoon ‘’Yolanda.’’
“Meron pong karagdagang P7.4 billion na dinagdag po sa YPHP at ito ay makakapagpagawa po tayo ng additional 32,294 housing units (We received an additional P7.4 billion for the YPHP and this will allow us to build 32,294 more housing units),” he said.
“Mostly sa Region 6 and 8 po ang na-identify na pagtatayuan natin ng additional na housing units gamit itong additional budget (Most of the additional housing units will be constructed in the Western and Central Visayas regions),” he added.
According to Nograles, President Duterte extended the life of Task Force Yolanda to complete all of the housing units, including the additional 32,294 houses, before the end of his term.
“‘Yan po ang ginagawa natin. Arangkada pa rin po. Na-delay tayo nang kaunti gawa ng COVID pero napansin niyo naman ngayon tuloy-tuloy ang mga virtual turnover (That’s what we are doing now. We just continue. We were slightly delayed by the pandemic but we will proceed with the virtual turnover),” he said.
The Palace official said that the housing units will be given for free to the victims of Yolanda.
“Libre po ‘yan. ‘Yan po ay utos ni Pangulong Duterte simula pa noong siya ang nag-takeover (This is for free. That is the order of the President since he assumed office),” Nograles said.
“Inutos niya na bilisan yung sa Yolanda. Isa sa mga instructions at direktiba ni Pangulo ay kung ibigay ‘yung mga Yolanda housing doon sa mga biktima ay dapat libre (His order was to speed things up. He said that if we are going to give the housing to the Yolanda victims, it should be for free),” he added.