BAGUIO CITY – The coronavirus disease (COVID-19) tally in the city shot up by 77 new cases on Monday after outbreaks were reported in two more barangays.
The City Health Service Office (CHSO) said the new outbreaks were detected areas in Barangays City Camp Central and Dominican-Mirador through contact tracing of 69 infected persons, who were exposed to persons found positive for the virus.
CHSO said the outbreaks have continued, but have also been contained within these areas only.
Mayor Benjamin Magalong also said there was a marked increase in cases in two puroks in Barangay City Camp Central, and one purok in Dominican-Mirador with the detection of more infected contacts of current patients.
These areas have been put on hard lockdown beginning last week until October 10.
Magalong said more tests will be done in these areas with another 120 contact tracers scheduled to be deployed in the next two days.
He said the newly hired 176 contact tracers hired by the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) will help in tracing contacts of previous positive on COVID-19, especially in the outbreak areas.
The 176 new contact tracers immediately began their work after they took their oath at the city hall grounds on Monday, October 5.
Of the rest of new cases, six were symptomatic, one through expanded testing and one was tested as a travel requirement.
There were also 33 minors, the youngest a four-month-old male, and eight were senior citizens.
There were also 38 recoveries recorded on Monday.
As of 6 p.m., October 5, the city has recorded 1,222 confirmed cases, 585 active, 621 recoveries and 16 deaths.