COVID-19 cases declining in Metro Manila hospitals

Published September 12, 2020, 4:50 PM

by Analou de Vera

Some hospitals in Manila are starting to observe less admission of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patients.

(JANSEN ROMERO / FILE PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)

While the country is still seeing new infections daily, medical practitioners observed the decreasing trend of patients in the hospitals they are working for.

“Yes, we are seeing a decrease in cases over the last four weeks based on our data of admitted cases,” said Dr. Rontgene Solante, infectious disease director of San Lazaro Hospital in Sta. Cruz, Manila.

“From (the) last week of July and compared with last week of August, a 20 percent decrease in cases. First week to last week of August, we see a five percent weekly decrease until first week of September,” he added.

Solante noted that “though the decrease is not significantly high, the trend” is on a downward.

The Philippine General Hospital (PGH) in Ermita, Manila also observed a declining number of patients. “Based on the numbers, there is a decreasing trend,” said PGH spokesman Dr. Jonas Del Rosario in a brief text message.

A nurse working at the PGH also observed this significant downward trend.

“Before po talaga on surge ‘yung cases ng wards and ICUs (intensive care unit) ng mga COVID cases, as in full house kami (Before the cases of wards and ICUs of COVID cases are really on surge, we are in full house),” said Blessy Breganza, a nurse working at PGH.

Breganza said that one ward at the hospital used to have 32 COVID-19 patients but now, there are only 16 patients admitted. “Nag decline talaga ‘yung cases (The cases really declined),” she said.

Solante said that the decreasing number of patients can be attributed to three factors: The imposition of modified enhanced community quarantine in August, stricter implementation of health protocols in the public and workplaces, and the initiative of the local government units in “strengthening isolation and quarantine facilities for mildly symptomatic patients.”

In a recent press briefing, Department of Health (DoH) Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said that they observed that the occupancy of hospital beds dedicated for COVID-19 patients are indeed decreasing.

“We have seen a decrease in the utilization. Naghi-hit tayo dati ng (Before, we are hitting) 86 percent, 81 percent in the National Capital Region. Ngayon (Currently), we are down to 68 percent as of Sept. 2, and we have been seeing a consistent decreasing trend in the past week,” said Vergeire.

“Still, of course hindi natin sinasabi na safe na tayo (we cannot say that we are safe already). We are still working closely with our hospitals so that they can further expand their units para madagdagan yung (to increase the) allocated beds for COVID,” she then added.

As of Seoptember 12, the Philippines has 257,863 COVID-19 cases. The number of patients who have recovered is at 187,116, while the death count is at 4,292.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2422933,2999073,2999051,2999034,2998999,2998988,2998982]