VP not interested in revolutionary gov’t, calls the move ‘illegal’

Published August 29, 2020, 6:30 PM

by Raymund Antonio

Vice President Leni Robredo has no interest to take part in the move to establish a revolutionary government being pushed by President Duterte’s supporters to amend the Constitution. 

Vice-President Leni Robredo (OVP / Facebook / MANILA BULLETIN FILE PHOTO)

Robredo’s spokesman Barry Gutierrez on Saturday, August 29, said the pro-Duterte group should not count on Robredo as an alternative option to lead their cause.

“Asa pa kayo (Don’t be hopeful),” Gutierrez, who is also a legal adviser to Robredo, said in a Twitter post.

Robredo again rejected proposals for the creation of a revolutionary government after the Mayor Rodrigo Roa Duterte-National Executive Coordination Committee (MRRD-NECC) said it is now looking at her after Duterte dismissed these calls. 

The President claimed he has no links with the group. “I don’t care about them, I don’t know anyone of them, and that’s not my job,” he said.

MRRD-NECC proposed that a revolutionary government be formed, headed by Duterte, until December 31, in a bid to hasten efforts to shift toward federalism.

“If he refuses, we have successional system under our Constitution,” the group’s spokesman, Francisco Arlene Buan, said over The Chiefs on Cignal TV’s One News.

The country’s second top leader is VP Robredo who is from the opposition Liberal Party.

The vice president previously called the revived calls for the establishment of revolutionary government as illegal and inappropriate at a time when the country is battling the coronavirus pandemic.

 “Ang laking kalokohan niyan (That’s a huge nonsense),” she said. “Ang hinihingi dito itapon na ‘yung Constitution natin. Diyan pa lang iligal na yan (They’re asking to overthrow our Constitution. That in itself is already illegal).”

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2358320,2673018,2673015,2673011,2673006,2673003,2672999]