2 Filipinos among over 100 killed in Lebanon blast

Published August 5, 2020, 1:01 AM

by AFP, Noreen Jazul, & Roy C. Mabasa

At least two Filipinos were among more than 100 people killed when a cataclysmic explosion at the port sowed devastation across entire neighborhoods in Beirut, plunging Lebanon deeper into crisis. 

A helicopter pours water onto the fire at the port of Lebanon’s capital Beirut (AFP Photo/STR)

The blast, which appeared to have been caused by a fire igniting 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate left unsecured in a warehouse, was felt as far away as Cyprus, some 240 kilometers to the northwest. 

The scale of the destruction was such that the Lebanese capital resembled the scene of an earthquake, with thousands of people left homeless and thousands more cramming into overwhelmed hospitals for treatment. 

“We’ve had some dark days in Lebanon over the years but this is something else,” said Rami Rifai, a 38-year-old engineer, speaking to AFP from a hospital where his two daughters were receiving treatment after sustaining cuts despite being half a kilometer from the seat of the blast. 

“We already had the economic crisis, a government of thieves and coronavirus. I didn’t think it could get worse but now I don’t know if this country can get up again. Everyone is going to try to leave. I will try to leave,” he said, his voice choked by tears. 

‘Shaking in fear’ 

The Philippines’ Department of Foreign Affairs said at least eight other Filipinos were injured and 11 more missing in the massive blast. 

“Nangangatog ako sa nerbiyos (I was shaking in fear),” was how Ursula Guila, one of the injured Filipinos, described how she felt after the blast. 

In an interview with CNN Philippines, Ursula Guila said she still has glass shards in her face since she has yet to receive treatment for her injuries from the blast.

“Pumunta ako ng hospital, [pero] puro puno ang hospital. Talagang grabe, madaming sugatan, so ginawa ko na lang umuwi na lang ako, inisip ko na ako na lang gagamot sa sarili ko kasi mas marami pang sugatan kaysa sa akin (I went to the hospital, but it was overwhelmed with injured patients. Since there were still a lot of patients which needed urgent attention, I decided to just go back home and treat myself),” Guila, who works as a domestic helper in Beirut, said. 

Guila sustained injuries in her face and arms. Her employers were also injured and only received first aid after going to three hospitals. 

The Filipina said she woke up at around 6 p.m. on August 4 to check her “alaga” (child ward) when she saw a white smoke from the window. She went close to the window and opened it to check what was happening. 

“Pag bukas ko, sumunod na ‘yung itim na usok. Doon na ako napalipad, napatilapon, di ko na alam kung anong sumunod na nangyari basta ang alam ko bumagsak ako sa sahig (When I opened the window, I saw a cloud of black smoke, and then I was thrown off my feet. I was no longer aware of what happened. The next thing I knew, I was already on the floor),” she shared. 

‘I saw blood dripping’ 

Guila said she got up and saw blood dripping on the floor from her face and arms. 

“Hinipo ko yung mukha ko, puro dugo pala. Wala [kasi] akong naramdaman nung mga oras na yon (I didn’t know I was bleeding until I touched my face and saw blood because I felt numb during the explosion),” she said. 

Guila said most of the Filipinos in Beirut whom she knows are okay. She said she saw one Filipino who was also injured and they went together to the hospital. 

Reports showed that in the areas closest to the port, the amount of destruction caused by the long years of civil war between 1975 and 1990 was achieved in a second by a blast that levelled buildings within a radius of several hundred meters. 

One resident of Mar Mikhail, one of the most affected neighborhoods, said she saw bodies strewn in the middle of the street, apparently thrown off balconies and rooftops by the blast. 

Many people were watching and filming with their phones after an earlier and smaller explosion was heard in the port and ignited a fire. 

‘The Apocalypse’ 

The resulting footage, which was widely shared on social media, shows a ball of fire and smoke rising above Beirut and a white shockwave engulfing everything around it. 

The mushroom-shaped explosion – which seismologists said was logged as the equivalent of a 3.3 magnitude quake – and the scope of the damage drew nuclear analogies in many people’s accounts of the tragedy. 

“The Apocalypse” read the headline of L’Orient-Le Jour, the main French-language daily in Lebanon, a country that has seen its share of explosions in its recent past, but none quite this big. 

The embattled government of Prime Minister Hassan Diab described the circumstances at the port that led to the explosion as “unacceptable” and vowed to investigate. 

“Those responsible for this catastrophe will pay the price,” he said. 

Messages of support poured in from around the world for Lebanon, whose economy was already on its knees after defaulting on sovereign debt earlier this year. 

A crippling devaluation has sent poverty levels soaring to an estimated 50 percent of the population and for a country so heavily reliant on imports, the obliteration of the main port signalled more hardship ahead. 

Criticism of the government was already rife on social media, where Lebanese users argued that a disaster of such magnitude could only strike in a state whose institutions are crippled by incompetence and corruption. 

Late Tuesday, thousands of families drove out of Beirut to take their families to safety, but many others were left stranded without a roof, unable to go anywhere or unwilling to leave their gutted homes open to looters. 

The rescue effort was slowed at night by the lack of electricity, which was already intermittent at best in much of the city before the explosion. 

The security forces sealed off a huge area around the blast site, turning away residents trying to reach their homes to assess the damage. 

‘I saw the mushroom’ 

Johnny Assaf, an estate agent whose home and office were destroyed by the blast, said he lost everything except his life. 

“I saw the mushroom first, then the force of the blast swept through my office. It sent me literally flying halfway across the office until my head hit the printer,” he told AFP, nursing a hastily bandaged arm. 

“In hospital they stitched me up without anaesthesia and then stopped before they were done because too many serious injuries were being rushed in. I saw people die in front of me,” he said. 

Hospitals that had already been stretched to the brink by a spike in the number of coronavirus cases in recent days were pushed to new limits by the influx of wounded and forced to turn many away. 

Saint-Georges hospital was badly damaged by the explosion and lost several members of its staff.

Read more: World offers support, condolences to Lebanon after devastating blasts