By Genalyn Kabiling
President Duterte has vowed to provide food and transport assistance to students stranded due to lockdown measures so they can return to their hometowns.
Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said the President committed to assist the stranded students and provide “pabaon” under the “Hatid Estudyante program.”
“Inanunsiyo din po kahapon ni Presidente na iyong mga estudyanteng nais umuwi sa kani-kanilang mga probinsiya, tutulungan po niyang umuwi. Pero siyempre po, sana makabalik sa Maynila dahil nais nating matapos nila ang kanilang pag-aaral (The President announced Monday that the students who want to return to their provinces will be assisted. Of course, we hope they will return to Manila so the can complete their education),” Roque said during a virtual press briefing Tuesday.
“Iuuwi po ng ating Presidente natin ang mga estudyante sa pamamagitan ng riles, barko, bus at eroplano. Magbibigay po ang Presidente nang konting ayuda sa kanila para makauwi, sapat po ito para sa pamasahe, sa kanilang pagkain habang bumibiyahe at kaonting pabaon (The President will bring the students home through railway, ships, bus and airplanes. The President will give a small aid to them so they can return home. This will be enough for transport fare, food during travel, and small allowance),” he said.
Last week, the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) directed the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) to help the Department of Transportation to ensure the safe return of the students.
Under the program, students stuck in campuses, apartments and dormitories will be assisted in going back to their hometowns. These who want to avail the program are used to show school identification cards, location details, and other relevant information to the transportation department.