By Roy Mabasa
Seven more Filipinos died from coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the Americas, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said in a report on Thursday.
Aside from the seven deaths, the DFA said there are 21 new confirmed COVID cases and 34 new recoveries from Filipinos mostly in the Asia and the Pacific regions.
This now brings the total number confirmed COVID-19 cases among overseas Filipinos to 1,922 covering 46 countries worldwide.
To date, the DFA said the daily rate of recoveries at 6.5 percent remains higher than the daily rate of new confirmed cases and new deaths among Filipino nationals abroad.
“The DFA, through its Foreign Service Posts, continues to ensure the welfare of our nationals affected by the pandemic and stands ready to assist returning Filipinos affected by the suspension of flights at NAIA,” the foreign affairs office said.
Last week, the National Task Force on COVID-19 under Chief Implementer Carlito Galvez recommended the suspension of all incoming commercial flights, including repatriation flights of displaced Filipinos abroad, to improve the capacity of its quarantine centers that are currently filled with repatriates undergoing the 14-day quarantine procedures.
Nearly 25,000 Filipino seafarers and land-based workers from various parts of the world have been repatriated back to the country since the COVID-19 outbreak began in February this year.
The government is eyeing to resume the repatriation of around 44,000 OFWs next week as soon as the NTF lifts the suspension of inbound flights.