NBI to probe death of woman who was refused by hospitals

Published April 27, 2020, 12:00 AM

by manilabulletin_admin

By Jeffrey Damicog

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has been tasked to investigate another person who died after being refused admission by hospitals.

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra (TOTO LOZANO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO /MANILA BULLETIN)
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra (TOTO LOZANO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO /MANILA BULLETIN)

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said he has directed the NBI to conduct an investigation concerning Catherine Bulatao who died at her home while giving birth to her child.

“As to the pregnant woman, I gave the instruction [on April 25],” said Guevarra.

The Secretary also instructed the NBI to give its report of the investigation in 10 days.

Reports indicated that Catherine gave birth at her home in Caloocan City with the help of a midwife.

However, Catherine needed surgery to get the placenta from her uterus.

She was refused admission by six hospitals and, when she was finally accepted at the San Jose del Monte General Hospital, she was declared dead on arrival.

Meanwhile, Guevarra said he has already received from the NBI its report on the investigation conducted concerning the death of Ladislao Cabling, 65, who was also refused admission by six hospitals in Cabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija.

“The NBI has submitted its report last week on the Nueva Ecija incident,” the Secretary said.

“All other subsequent similar cases are being probed by the NBI upon my directive,” he added.

The death of Cabling has been assigned to NBI Cabanatuan City District Office (NBI-CABDO) Chief Pedro “Jun” Roque.

The Cabling family said the old man who has asthma was suffering from difficulty in breathing and had to be taken to a hospital.

However, the old man died after being being refused by six hospitals.

Last April 13, President Duterte warned hospitals against refusing to admit critically ill patients.

“I will really ask the Justice Department to prosecute you. Kasi alam niyo na hindi puwede ‘yan (Because you know that’s not allowed),” Duterte had said.

While those at government hospitals, Duterte also threatened those involved in refusing patients of dismissal or suspensions for not following his directive.

READ MORE: Woman dies after being rejected by 6 hospitals in Caloocan and QC

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","news"]
[2021021,2882400,2882396,2882388,2882384,2882367,2882379]