Cotabato records another suspect COVID-19 death

Published April 24, 2020, 12:00 AM

by manilabulletin_admin

By Malu Cadelina Manar

KIDAPAWAN CITY – North Cotabato has recorded another suspected case of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) who died without knowing the result of the test conducted on him, a health official here said Friday.

Dr. Philbert Malaluan, manager of the Emergency Operations Center of the Inter-Agency Task Force on COVID-19, said the patient was a 65-year old male who died of cardiac arrest.

He also suffered from community acquired pneumonia, chronic kidney disease Stage V, and severe anemia.

The patient’s COVID-19 laboratory result has yet to arrive from the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) in Davao City.

Malaluan explained that the delay in the release of results was due to the backlog at the SPMC, especially when some of its workers have also tested positive of the disease.

He, however, dispelled fears of local transmission of the virus as the patient had no travel history, and only a few members of his family took care of him while he was still hospitalized at the Cotabato Regional and Medical Center in Cotabato City.

The first reported suspect Covid-19 death was a 38-year old female from Tulunan, North Cotabato who died of severe acute respiratory disease. She tested negative of the virus, data showed.

Meantime, Malaluan said he was hopeful the province could flatten its COVID-19 curve since the two remaining cases have been showing good results, although their second PCR lab tests were still pending at the SPMC.

“After April 30, the task force and top officials of North Cotabato could decide whether to continue with the ECQ (enhanced community quarantine), or we will lower our quarantine to general community quarantine.

But of course, we will abide by the pronouncement of President Duterte and guidelines from President the national offices,” saod Malaluan.

The two confirmed COVID-19 cases here included an eight-month pregnant woman and a 45-year old cockfighting aficionado who recently attended a 6-cock derby at the Matina Gallera in Davao City.

Both were from Kidapawan City, Malaluan said.
On April 24, there had been two suspect COVID-19 deaths in Soccsksargen region, one of which came from North Cotabato, data from the Department of Health Center for Health Development 12.

Another recorded death was a 50-year old female from Sultan Kudarat who expired due to acute respiratory disease syndrome with complications.

Both PCR lab tests are pending, the data showed.

In Region 12, there had been 24 suspect COVID-19 deaths since March.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","news"]
[2020644,2878735,2878718,2878715,2878729,2878732,2878710]