Task force chief warns public: 'Neglect of COVID-19 measures could lead to more deaths'

Published April 14, 2020, 3:25 PM

by manilabulletin_admin

By Martin Sadongdong 

Failure to observe the strict implementation of enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), social distancing, and other measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) could lead to more deaths, the pandemic response chief warned on Tuesday night.

National Task Force (NTF) COVID-19 chief implementer Secretary Carlito Galvez, Jr. urged local chief executives and concerned government agencies, such as the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), Philippine National Police (PNP), and Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), among others to further intensify the implementation of the lockdown as they have observed that some areas are not following orders.

Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Carlito Galvez Jr. (Screenshot / RTVM / PCOO / MANILA BULLETIN)
National Task Force (NTF) Covid-19 chief implementer Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. (Screenshot / RTVM / PCOO / FILE PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)

“Nananawagan po ako sa ating MMDA, mayors, barangay captains, at ang ating PNP at AFP na lalo pa po nating paigtingin ang pagpapatupad ng enhanced community quarantine. May mga nakita po kaming mga tahasang paglabag ng lockdown (We appeal to the MMDA, mayors, barangay captains, the PNP and AFP to intensify the enforcement of enhanced community quarantine. We have seen outright violations of the lockdown),” Galvez said in a virtual briefing at Camp Aguinaldo in Quezon City.

The chief cited the situation in the United States and some European countries where the daily death toll is pegged between 1,000 to 2,000.

“Huwag po tayong magpabaya dahil buhay ninyo at ng inyong pamilya ang nakataya. Nakita natin ang nangyari sa mga bansang hindi sumunod sa social distancing at lockdown. Libu-libo ang namamatay sa kanila araw-araw (Let us not take things for granted because it’s you and your family’s lives that are at stake. We have seen the situation in countries that did not follow social distancing and lockdown. Thousands are dying there everyday),” he said.

In the Philippines, there are 5,223 confirmed cases with 335 deaths and 295 recoveries as of 4 p.m. Tuesday, according to the Department of Health.

Earlier in the day, Galvez called out the local governments of Manila, Quezon City, and San Juan where select barangays have reportedly failed to follow ECQ and social distancing.

Meanwhile, Galvez commended the local governments of Baguio City, Valenzuela City, Davao and Caraga regions which have “improving situations” with increasing recovery rate and decreasing new confirmed cases.

He reiterated his appeal to the public to stay at home, observe proper hygiene, practice social distancing, and wear face masks.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","news"]
[2018888,2880923,2880920,2880915,2880912,2880890,2880893]