By Joseph Almer Pedrajas
The 21 residents of Sitio San Roque in Barangay Bagong Pag-asa, Quezon City who were arrested last week after staging a rally to demand food have been released from detention, police said Tuesday, April 7.
Quezon City Police District (QCPD) Director Brig. Gen. Ronnie Montejo said the individuals arrested were set free on Monday night after posting a P15,000 bail each.
“The QCPD received a copy of the Release Order from presiding Judge Peter Filip S Abelita of MTC Branch 22, Quezon City. After further verification of the records, the accused were immediately released at past 6 p.m., April 6, 2020,” the QCPD said in a statement.
The 21 individuals were identified as Epifania Villamero, Marivic Mantar, Jocy Lopez, Ruth Danghil, Cherame Garcines, Jungie Camarador, Jesus Magsayo, Renato Agbay, Saidamin Casangoan, Revelo Mejorada, Celso Alagon, Sonny Ysulan, Cesar Gallamoza, Telfert Ramirez, Hilario Dela Cruz, Dionesio Lopez, Andres Lapinid, Ereberht Galagate, Bino Ali, Emelson Cahinde, and Rudillo Cabasag Jr.
They were charged for violation of RA 11469, RA11332, and Article 151 of the Revised Penal Code after “staging a rally without any permit being issued by proper authorities” along EDSA on April 1.
The family of Senator Francis Pangilinan pledged on April 4 to shoulder their bail, in response to a Twitter post by Bayan Secretary General Renato Reyes who called for donations to help free the detained individuals.