By Vanne Elaine Terrazola
The number of severe cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in China has seen a significant decrease, according to the country’s National Health Commission (NHC).
Mi Feng, NHC spokesperson, said the decline proves that the China’s prevention and control measures were “effective”, the state-run Xinhua News Agency reported Sunday.
In Wuhan, where the COVID-19 was believed to have originated, the proportion of severe cases among all the confirmed cases fell to 21.6 percent on February 15, from a peak of 32.4 percent on January 28.
Severe cases from other parts of Hubei Province also dropped from a peak of 18.4 percent on January 27 to 11.1 percent on Saturday.
The percentage of severe cases in other provinces of China likewise decreased from a peak of 15.9 percent on January 27, to 7.2 percent last weekend.
The NHC spokesperson said the decline was due to the differentiated measures being implemented on patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19, close contacts of the confirmed cases, and fever patients.
“The differentiated measures ensure that a large number of mild cases are treated in time, reducing the possibility of becoming severe cases,” Mi was quoted telling reporters.
More than 68,500 people in China were infected with the COVID-19, with the death toll exceeding 1,660.
The NHC, on the other hand, said the new cases are slowing down for 12 consecutive days.
The Chinese government said it is able to contain more than 99 percent of the confirmed cases within its borders.
China has implemented lock downs in Wuhan and several other cities in Hubei province, as well as the suspension of public transportation, since the outbreak started last month.
Four more deaths due to the new coronavirus were reported outside of China: in the Philippines, Japan, France, and the latest, in Taiwan.