DOJ mulls asking more freed GCTA prisoners to surrender

Published December 27, 2019, 10:39 AM

by Dr. Eduardo Gonzales

By Jeffrey Damicog 

The Department of Justice (DOJ) is considering calling for other persons deprived of liberty to surrender after being anomalously released due to good conduct time allowance (GCTA).

(MANILA BULLETIN)
(MANILA BULLETIN)

DOJ spokesman and Undersecretary Mark Perete pointed this out as the DOJ and Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) continue to process the freed PDLs who heeded the call of President Duterte to surrender back in September.

Perete said the BuCor’s list containing the names of 1,914 freed PDLs who were asked to surrender is considered an “initial list.”

“So at some point, when the review process is somehow completed, there might be calls for the return of more (inmates),” he said.

 

“But we do hope, once this review process is concluded, there would be less who will be required to return to BuCor because of the fact that many of them are to be included in the benefits of the GCTA law in the first place,” he added.

Back in September, Duterte ordered the 1,914 freed PDLs in the list of the BuCor to surrender by September 19 after they were found unqualified to benefit from the GCTA law.

However, instead of 1,914 persons, there were 2,352 individuals who surrendered to the authorities.

So far, a total of 827 surrenderers have been processed and are already released.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2201866,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,2874482,2874478,2874475,2874464,2874457,2874453]

DOJ mulls asking more freed GCTA prisoners to surrender

Published December 27, 2019, 12:00 AM

by manilabulletin_admin

By Jeffrey Damicog 

The Department of Justice (DOJ) is considering calling for other persons deprived of liberty to surrender after being anomalously released due to good conduct time allowance (GCTA).

(MANILA BULLETIN)
(MANILA BULLETIN)

DOJ spokesman and Undersecretary Mark Perete pointed this out as the DOJ and Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) continue to process the freed PDLs who heeded the call of President Duterte to surrender back in September.

Perete said the BuCor’s list containing the names of 1,914 freed PDLs who were asked to surrender is considered an “initial list.”

“So at some point, when the review process is somehow completed, there might be calls for the return of more (inmates),” he said.

 

“But we do hope, once this review process is concluded, there would be less who will be required to return to BuCor because of the fact that many of them are to be included in the benefits of the GCTA law in the first place,” he added.

Back in September, Duterte ordered the 1,914 freed PDLs in the list of the BuCor to surrender by September 19 after they were found unqualified to benefit from the GCTA law.

However, instead of 1,914 persons, there were 2,352 individuals who surrendered to the authorities.

So far, a total of 827 surrenderers have been processed and are already released.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","news"]
[2067926,2874482,2874453,2874428,2874404,2874392,2874382]