Batangas ramps up anti-meningo measures

Published October 6, 2019, 5:29 PM

by Rica Arevalo

By Lyka Manalo

Batangas Acting Gov. Jose Antonio Leviste II has ordered all cities and municipalities to observe standard protocols on preventing the spread of meningococcemia after the disease claimed four lives in the province.

(Center for Disease Control and Prevention / MANILA BULLETIN)
(Center for Disease Control and Prevention / MANILA BULLETIN)

“Our Provincial Health Office (PHO) headed by Dr. Rosvilinda Ozaeta is likewise ready to answer any of your queries, and give technical, logistical and medical assistance whenever necessary,” Leviste posted on his Facebook account Saturday.

The Department of Health (DOH) in Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon) confirmed Saturday that the meningococcemia fatalities were from Lian town, Nasugbu and Tanauan City.

Before the DOH made the confirmation, unverified reports had been spreading on social media about the areas where the disease had surfaced and how many had died.

A drugstore attendant in Ibaan town said their face masks were sold out as early on Friday morning as public anxiety over meningococcemia grew.

In Batangas City, Dr. Rose Barrion, the city health officer, has called on netizens through the Public Information Office not to spread unverified reports about the disease.

Barrion also clarified that there was no reported case of meningococcemia case in the city.

In Lian, the local government has intensified fever surveillance and its health education campaign following the death of a one-year-old girl who was declared dead on arrival at San Lazaro Hospital in Manila last Sept. 28.

Lian’s Rural Health Unit (RHU) immediately conducted contact tracing to locate the persons who had close contact with the girl.

Three children and six adults were given prophylaxis antibiotic.

A community assembly was conducted together with the barangay health workers.

Mayor Isagani Bolompo identified the victim as Andrea Magbago from Sitio Paye, Barangay Lumaniag. The laboratory result that confirmed she died from meningococcemia was released, Saturday.

Bolompo said another victim’s sibling who had fever was confined in the hospital but was released after being diagnosed to have no meningo virus.

“Ang diagnosis ay upper respiratory infection,” Bolompo told Manila Bulletin in a text message.

He made it clear that there is only one meningococcemia fatality in Lian.

The victim’s house has been disinfected, while the LGU had coordinated with her parents and teachers to conduct meetings in order to avoid anxiety and how to prevent and control the virus.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2169916,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,2879787,2879784,2879781,2879777,2879771,2879774]