Eleazar: Muslim communities are our partners in securing Metro Manila from attacks

Published July 17, 2019, 3:42 PM

by Francine Ciasico

By Aaron Recuenco

The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) is banking on its good partnership with leaders of Muslim communities in Metro Manila in preventing the spillover of terror attacks amid the case of a Filipino suicide bomber in Sulu.

National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) P/Maj. Gen. Guillermo Lorenzo Eleazar (PHOTO FROM PIO NCRPO / FACEBOOK / MANILA BULLETIN)
National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) P/Maj. Gen. Guillermo Lorenzo Eleazar (PHOTO FROM PIO NCRPO / FACEBOOK / MANILA BULLETIN)

NCRPO chief Maj. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar said that Muslim community leaders have been consistently helping them in intelligence-gathering and information-sharing relating to potential security threats in the metropolis.

“In several times, they proved their sincerity in our effort to maintain peace and order in Metro Manila. They have been helping us and we have good relationship with them,” said Eleazar.

For instance, he said some of the suspected terrorists who were arrested in Metro Manila were based on the information-sharing with Muslim communities especially in Quezon City, Manila and Taguig City.

“If we have information, we ask for their help and if they have information, they would immediately relay all of them to us. It is indeed a good collaboration to maintain peace and order here in Metro Manila,” said Eleazar.

Last month, three soldiers and three civilians died while more than 20 others were injured when two suicide bombers, one of them was confirmed to be a Filipino, blew themselves off inside a military camp in Sulu.

The NCRPO leadership immediately hoisted full alert status but was lifted two days after.

For the 4th State of the Nation Address of President Duterte on Monday, Eleazar said they have not monitored any serious threat of attacks.

“We have not monitored any threat but we are continuously coordinating with agencies involved,” said Eleazar.

More than 9,000 policemen will be tapped to secure the President’s SONA on Monday; the bulk of it will be deployed along Commonwealth Avenue and in the area of Batasan Pambansa in Quezon City.

At least 15,000 protesters are expected to hold rallies but Eleazar said he had already met with their leaders to iron out guidelines on how to prevent violent confrontations.

Part of the discussion was the appeal of Eleazar for the protest organizers to ask their members not to carry bags and wear jackets as a preventive security measure.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2135804,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,2918085,2918079,2918075,2918071,2918061,2918068]