Palace not ruling out possibility of pursuing complaint vs Cardema

Published May 20, 2019, 3:48 PM

by AJ Siytangco

By Genalyn Kabiling

Malacañang has not ruled out the possibility of pursuing a complaint against former National Youth Commission chair Ronald Cardema after he suddenly left his post to pursue his party-list ambition.

Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo (OPS / MANILA BULLETIN)
Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo
(OPS / MANILA BULLETIN)

“Tingnan natin. Let’s see,” Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said during a Palace press briefing when asked if the government will take legal action against Cardema for supposedly abandoning his post.

Panelo admitted that Cardema did not inform President Duterte about his intention to substitute as Duterte Youth party-list group nominee although the Palace would not stop him from pursuing such plan. He said the Palace learned about Cardema’s plan only from the newspapers.

“That means hindi siya nagpaalam. Otherwise sinabi na ng Presidente [That means he did not inform us otherwise the President would have said something],” he said.

“Well as far as we are concerned, he showed his disinterest in further serving the executive branch, then who are we to stop him,” he added.

Last Sunday, Malacañang announced that Cardema was considered resigned from NYC after he filed a petition for substitution as first nominee of the Duterte Youth party-list group. The Palace also directed Cardema to vacate his office and turn over all official papers, documents, and properties in his possession to the Office of the President,

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has yet to decide on Cardema’s petition, which was filed a day before the May 13 midterm elections.

“Regardless of the outcome, we deem that Mr. Cardema has already abandoned his present position because his act of filing the petition absolutely reflects his intention to relinquish his office and exposes his desire to serve the government in a different capacity,” Panelo said in a statement last Sunday.

In Monday’s press briefing, Panelo explained that once an appointee files a certificate of candidacy or petition for substitute, the person is considered resigned from his post.

“If the law says by filing of certificate of candidacy or substitution you’re automatically resigned, then you did not abandon in a way. That means nag-resign talaga siya [That means he resigned],” he said.

Panelo said President Duterte is expected to appoint soon a new NYC chair who could advance the genuine interests and welfare of the Filipino youth.

Cardema was appointed to lead the NYC last year, replacing singer-actor Ice Seguerra. Prior to his appointment, he served NYC Commissioner representing Luzon since August 2017.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2121214,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,3062966,3062972,3062955,3062950,3062933,3062930]