For decades, people never tire of asking: What’s the secret of living long and staying young? Many answers based on thousands of authoritative research indicate that the answer lies simply on what we eat. Unbelievable, isn’t it? It is indeed ironic that many people do not know or do not believe that eating the right food can help prevent some of the deadly diseases like cancer, heart disease, as well as aging-related diseases.
Studies have shown that the right diet, together with lifestyle habits like regular exercise and avoiding stressful activities is the secret to living longer and staying young. It is not just lengthening our life span though – but to have more stamina and more energy at whatever age we are and feeling and looking younger than our biological age.
In the past, people have been unsuccessfully looking an instant magical cure to reverse aging. Up to this day, pharmaceutical companies are pouring millions of dollars searching for an aging cure. The search for the so-called elixir/fountain of youth by pharmaceutical companies is still going on.
In the meantime, some doctors have been conducting studies on the longest living people in the world. The people of Okinawa, Japan top the list. The findings are as follows: (Reference: Secrets of Longest Living People by S. Beare)
1. Heart disease, stroke and cancer are at their lowest in the world in Okinawa. Okinawans have 80% fewer heart attacks than Americans;
2. Breast cancer is a rarity. Mammogram tests are not needed;
3. Older men have not heard of prostate cancer;
4. One 100-year old man mistook to be about 70 years old was examined by doctors to have nothing wrong with his body;
5. Even old Okinawans have youthful immune systems, very low rates of osteoporosis, fit and attractive bodies, high level of sex hormones, and excellent mental health;
6. The secrets of Okinawa have to do with diet, some lifestyle factors like regular exercise and positive mental outlook;
7. The younger generations of Okinawans are abandoning their traditional diets and replacing the diets with those found in fast-food joints mushrooming in America. No wonder “Western” diseases like heart attack and cancer are going up among the younger generations of Okinawans who are abandoning their traditional diets.
8. The traditional low-calorie, nutrient-rich Okinawan diet follows all the main rules of healthy and balanced eating thus promoting good health and long life.
Their food is rich in anti-cancer and anti-aging antioxidants. Only minimal amounts of age-promoting fat, meat, sugar, refined carbohydrates and stimulants are used.
The fantastic story of the Okinawan people confirms the truth in the saying that “We are made of food, and what we eat affects our minds, bodies and spirits.” Let us take plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, minimize our intake of processes and refined foods, reduce our meat intake, and drink plenty of water. For a healthier, longer and happier life.
Have a joyful day!
(For comments/reactions please send to Ms. Villafuerte’s email: [email protected]).