By Jel Santos
The Philippine Red Cross (PRC) has released a list of tips for motorists in order for them to have a safe trip as they go home to their respective provinces to observe Holy Week.
Here are the 10 road safety tips of PRC:
1. Use a seatbelt/child car seats
2. Wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle
3. Drive at a safe speed and distance suitable for the condition
4. Do not drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs
5. Do not use a mobile phone when driving
6. Be visible as a pedestrian or cyclist
7. Know and respect the highway codes
8. Maintain my vehicle in a good condition
9. Be licensed and trained for the vehicle drive
10. Know how to react in case of a crash
For emergency and any untoward incidents, PRC said the public can contact the 24/7 Operations Center of the organization by dialing 143 or 790-23-00.
PRC is deploying around 2, 000 volunteers and personnel to man welfare desks deployed all over the country.
The welfare desks will be offering first aid, tracing assistance for people with missing companions or relatives, referral assistance and psychosocial support.
PRC Chairman Richard Gordon said first aid stations, welfare desks, emergency vehicles, and ambulances are positioned in 34 bus terminals, 42 major highways, 54 churches, 13 beach areas, and nine seaports. Also, such will be set up in parks and pilgrimage areas.