Witnesses in QC fiscal’s slay getting threats

Published March 12, 2019, 11:19 PM

by Ellalyn De Vera & Richa Noriega

By Philippine News Agency

MANILA — Witnesses in the killing of a government prosecutor have allegedly been silenced by threats, the victims’ relatives have claimed.

All dressed in black, prosecutors and co-workers of slain Quezon City deputy prosecutor Rogelio Velasco gathered in front of the Quezon City Hall of Justice, Tuesday to condemn the killing of their colleague whose gunmen remain unidentified. Velasco is the 13th prosecutor who was killed since 1992. Velasco was gunned down by four assailants last May 11 while driving home with his two daughters in Barangay Holy Spirit, Quezon City. The Quezon City Police formed a special task force to investigate the fiscal's case, while the National Bureau of Investigation had been tasked to probe the incident. (Kevin Tristan Espiritu)
All dressed in black, prosecutors and co-workers of slain Quezon City deputy prosecutor Rogelio Velasco gathered in front of the Quezon City Hall of Justice, Tuesday to condemn the killing of their colleague whose gunmen remain unidentified. Velasco is the 13th prosecutor who was killed since 1992. Velasco was gunned down by four assailants last May 11 while driving home with his two daughters in Barangay Holy Spirit, Quezon City. The Quezon City Police formed a special task force to investigate the fiscal’s case, while the National Bureau of Investigation had been tasked to probe the incident. (Kevin Tristan Espiritu)

Dr. Victoria Velasco said three witnesses did not appear during Monday’s hearing on the preliminary investigation against the three policemen facing murder complaints for the death of her father, Quezon City Deputy Prosecutor Rogelio Velasco.

“Six witnesses took their oaths on Monday. But three witnesses did not appear due to fear for their lives,” Victoria said.

Victoria said one of the three witnesses who failed to appear was being harassed since last year.

Velasco was killed on May 11, 2018 in front of the Persian Kitchen in Barangay Holy Spirit, Quezon City. A white Toyota Innova with plate number XNR 256 blocked the path of Velasco’s vehicle and four armed men fired at the victim.

The Department of Justice under Senior Assistant State Prosecutor Peter Ong is conducting a preliminary investigation over the murder complaints filed by Velasco’s family and the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) against three of the suspects, namely, SPO2 Rodante Sicat Lalimarmo, PO3 Arthur Yasonio Lucy, and PO1 Jose Lunar Mercado.

“Two motorcycle-riding men have been seen outside of the house of the witness especially on September last year when the National Bureau of Investigation filed the complaints,” Victoria said.

“Lucy who’s supposed to be on restrictive custody was seen outside her house,” she said.

Another hearing is scheduled on March 25 where the NBI will conduct an examination of the security camera footage which were used as evidence against the respondents. 

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2108872,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,3103431,3103428,3103302,3103309,3103300,3103298]