By Leslie Ann G. Aquino
The deployment ban to the Federated States of Micronesia for returning workers was partially lifted as announced Thursday by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Secretary Silvestre Bello III.
“I just received information from Administrator (Bernard) Olalia of the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration that the Department of Foreign Affairs has recommended the lifting of the deployment ban to the Federated States of Micronesia,” Bello said in a press briefing.
“On the basis of this recommendation, the POEA Governing Board just passed a resolution lifting the total ban of deployment in Micronesia,” added Bello.
The imposition of the ban earlier this month was also upon the recommendation of the DFA.
According to Bello, the report on unpaid wages is already being verified.
“That is being verified as to whether there were unpaid wages because we received information especially from the OFW themselves that there is no such incident in non-payment of wages,” he said.
Earlier, the POEA Governing Board resolved to impose a total ban on the processing and deployment of workers to the sovereign island nation.
The POEA imposed a ban on the deployment of Filipino migrant workers due to the continued reports of OFW abuses and maltreatment.