PNP says it has submitted documents on war on drugs to SC

Published June 26, 2018, 4:41 PM

by Francine Ciasico

By Aaron Recuenco

As far as the Philippine National Police is concerned, it has already complied with the Supreme Court order to submit pertinent documents regarding the government’s war on drugs of which the police are taking the lead.

Philippine National Police Chief Director Oscar Albayalde (Kevin Tristan Espiritu / MANILA BULLETIN)
Philippine National Police chief Director Oscar Albayalde (Kevin Tristan Espiritu / MANILA BULLETIN)

PNP chief Director General Oscar Albayalde said voluminous documents have already been turned over to the Office of the Solicitor General in compliance with the High Court’s order.

“We have already complied through the Solicitor General. As of this time, there is no more follow-up on the matter so I assume this was already complied,” said Albayalde.

The Supreme Court order stemmed from the petitions questioning the legality of the war on drugs, as well as the underlying allegations of massive human rights violations.

The number of fatalities in the war on drugs since it was launched in July 2016 is now at more than 4,200.

This is separate from the alleged more than 23,000 deaths perpetrated by vigilante groups which are inspired by the President’s support against campaign on illegal drugs.

Police, however, questioned the figure and said that only a few of the reported homicide cases were illegal drugs-related.

Alabayalde also hit back at critics alleging human rights violations on war on drugs, particularly the recent update wherein 38 States asked the Philippine government to respect and cooperate with the ongoing probe on possible human rights violations on war on drugs.

“I do not where they get their statistics. They should come here,” said Albayalde.

“We have been hearing about violation of human rights but as of now, there are no formal complaints about it,” he added.

He cited the case during the Marawi City siege wherein various groups claimed the human rights violations allegedly committed by soldiers and policemen.

But long after the Marawi City siege was finished last year, Albayalde said there were no confirmed reports so far of the alleged human rights violations in Marawi City.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2505450,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,2840097,2840094,2840091,2840088,2840084,2840081]