ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (April 7, 2018)

Published April 7, 2018, 3:49 PM

by Patrick Garcia

Man behind P20-M theft held

One of two suspects involved in stealing over P20 million from their former company has been arrested in Manila by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).

NBI Director Dante Gierran identified the arrested suspect as Michael Maret who was arrested Thursday along Apacible St. in Ermita, Manila.

Operatives of the NBI’s-Environmental Crime Division (NBI-EnCD) made the arrest based on the arrest warrant issued by a court over a non-bailable qualified theft case

Meanwhile, his co-accused in the case, Rosemarie Miranda, remained at large.

Maret and Miranda were former operations managers of an events and activation company which filed the qualified theft case against them.

Gierran said the two suspects duped their former employer of more than P20 million through a series of bogus transactions through the company.

He said they carted away the amount and enriched themselves, betrying the trust and confidence reposed by their employer.

After the case was filed in court and an arrest warrant was issued, the complainant sought the help of the NBI for their arrest.

NBI-EnCD operatives proceeded to Ermita and managed to arrest Maret. (Jeffrey Damicog)

2 big-time drug peddlers nabbed

Two bigtime drug peddlers in Quezon City were nabbed during a drug bust resulting in a brief chase Saturday morning.

Authorities of the Quezon City Police District Drug Enforcement Unit (QCPD-DDEU) identified the arrested drug personalities as Marc Dytioco, 36, a resident of Barangay San Francisco del Monte, Quezon City, and Iris Caraan, 40, of Barangay Bagong Pag-asa.

It appears that Dytioco had been under surveillance by the police due to his involvement in illegal activities in Quezon City.

Joint operatives of the QCPD-DDEU, and Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency conducted a drug sting against Dytioco.

An undercover police officer agreed to meet with the suspects along Masbate Street in Barangay Nayong Kaunlaran, Quezon City around 3:30 a.m. and purchased a sachet of shabu worth P20,000.

However, during the transaction, the duo onboard their white BMW car, sensed that they were dealing with a cop, prompting them to speed off and escape, resulting in a 15-minute chase.

Alert arresting officers were able to run after the suspects .

Police confiscated the white BMW car with plate number TSN-138, which police said was used in various illegal drug transactions, and at least 25 grams of shabu with an estimated value of P120,000.

The two are currently detained at the QCPD Headquarters in Camp Karingal while drug-related charges are being readied against them. (Alexandria San Juan)

Man slain inside his house

A man watching television on a Friday night was gunned down by an unidentified man wearing a face mask and black jacket who barged inside his house in Quezon City, leaving also a 16-year old boy wounded.

Investigators of the Quezon City Police District identified the fatality as Christian De Belen, 27, a resident of Barangay San Agustin, Novaliches, Quezon City.

According to the victim’s live-in partner, Melody, she was watching television with De Belen and her 16-year-old brother “Mike” inside their house along Betsayda Street at around 9:30 p.m. when a man clad in black jacket and wearing a face mask barged in.

Upon seeing De Belen, the man pulled out his handgun and repeatedly shot De Belen before escaping.

Melody told the police that the man boarded a motorcycle driven by his companion who was with two other men also riding a motorbike.

De Belen who slumped bloodied on the floor and “Mike” who was hit by stray bullets on his right arm and his back were rushed to Novaliches District Hospital.

However, De Belen succumbed er while “Mike” was later discharged after medical treatment.

Seven empty shells of unknown type of handgun were recovered from the crime scene. (Alexandria San Juan)

2 men grab phone from van driver

Two men were placed behind bars after allegedly snatching a low-end phone from a driver in a robbery incident Friday in Manila.

PO3 Joy Alcoriza, case investigator, identified the suspects as Michael Rioflorito, 31, of 1443 Simoun corner Antipolo St., Sampaloc, Manila, and Benjamin Esguerra, Jr, 21, residing inside the Manila North Cemetery.

Initial investigation revealed that the victim, identified as Rommel Pascual, 48, of Sampaloc, Manila was driving his closed van on April 6 at around 9:30 p.m. when he stopped at a red light along Dimasalang corner Metrica St., Samaploc, Manila.

One of the suspects grabbed Pascual’s phone from the van’s window and tossed it to his cohort, prompting the victim to run after the suspects as he shouted for help.

Meanwhile, PO1 Saldiva and PO1 Laugan along with elements of the Sibama Police Community Precinct were conducting a patrol along the area and immediately responded to the incident, resulting in the suspects’ arrest.

Authorities recovered the Nokia C3-00 unit worth P3,000 from the suspects, who are now under the custody of the Sampaloc Police Station. (Hans Amancio)

2 men with illegal weapons

Two men were arrested for possession of illegal weapons in separate Simultaneous Anti-Criminality and Law Enforcement Operations (SACLEO) Friday in Tondo, Manila.

Police reports identified the suspect as Reynaldo Monsanto, 54, of R10 Vitas St., Katuparan, Barangay 101, Tondo, Manila.

Prior to the suspect’s arrest, elements of the Station Drugs Enforcement Unit led by PO2 Emerson Frutas were conducting a SACLEO along Barangay 101 Vitas, Tondo, Manila on April 6 at around 8 p.m. when they chanced upon the suspect.

Authorities then approached the suspect who appeared to be intoxicated. Police officers eventually arrested Monsanto upon the discovery of a .38 caliber firearm on his waist.

Monsanto, now under the custody of Raxabago-Tondo Police Station, will face charges for violations of RO Sec. 5555 or Drinking in Public Place and R.A. 10591 or Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulations Act.

Meanwhile, a junk collector was arrested for possession of an improvised weapon Friday in Tondo, Manila.

Police reports identified the suspect as Romnick Espino, 29, of Building 34, Aroma Compound, Barangay 105 Tondo, Manila.

Prior to his arrest, elements of the Smokey Mountain Police Community Precinct led by PO1 Albert Castañeda were conducting a SACLEO along Barangay 105 at around 10 p.m. when they spotted the suspect reportedly holding an improvised shotgun, commonly known as sumpak.

Police officers eventually arrested Espino who is now under the custody of Raxabago-Tondo Police Station and will face charges for violation of R.A. 10591. (Hans Amancio)

No. 6 criminal falls

The Parañaque City Police arrested on Friday its No.6 most wanted person whom they just spotted walking with no upper clothing in Barangay La Huerta, Parañaque City.

The suspect was identified as Sonny Boy Jaylo, 24, a resident of Purok 3, Silverio Compound, Barangay San Isidro, Parañaque City.

Investigation showed that Jaylo was spotted by patrolling lawmen who were at the stretch of C. Jose St., when they saw the suspect walking without a shirt, a violation of CO 3395 or Half Naked in Public Place.

Authorities alighted from the vehicle and informed Jaylo of his offense before he was taken in. Futher verification revealed that the suspect is number six in the top 10 most wanted persons in Parañaque City.

The suspect turns out to have a pending case at the Parañaque RTC Branch 196 for violation of Section 11, Article II of RA 9165.

Jaylo also has a warrant of arrest for theft issued by the Parañaque City Regional Trial Court Branch 274 in April 2017. (Dhel Nazario)

24 drug-free barangays in Valenzuela City

At least 24 barangays in Valenzuela City were declared as drug-free workplaces by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) recently.

PDEA said that out of 33 barangays in the city, 24 have been declared drug-free workplace through the Drug-Free Workplace Committee in the barangays.

These include Barangays Arkong Bato, Balangkas, Bignay, Canumay East, Canumay West, Coloong, Dalandanan, Karuhatan, Lawang Bato, Mabolo, Malanday, Malinta, Mapulang Lupa, Maysan, Parada, Paso de Blas, Pasolo, Pulo, Punturin, Rincon, Tagalag, Ugong, Veinte Reales, and Wawang Pulo.

All these villages have all complied with the basic requirements of the Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB) Regulation No. 2 Series of 2004, guidelines for the implementation of Drug-Free Workplace Program.

These include the passage of a Workplace Anti-Drug Abuse policy, creation of Workplace Anti-Drug Abuse Committee, publication and signing of policy to all employees, conduct of mandatory drug test and corresponding action, and evaluation and issuance of resolution for the declaration.

“All sustaining efforts will be done to keep these barangays drug-free workplaces. We’re targetting to clear the remaining barangays at the end of this month,” said Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Valenzuela Director Mary Jane Nicario.

“They have to do a yearly compliance report on the drug testing activities conducted among their personnel. We persistently motivate these barangays to continuously conduct anti-drug abuse initiatives in accordance to the programs implemented locally and nationwide,” Nicario added.

Three more barangays are just waiting for official certificates of declaration, said the city’s public information head Zyan Caiña.

Furthermore, at least 941 former drug dependents already graduated from the city’s rehabilitation program. (Kate Javier)

 

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2495361,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,2912099,2912096,2912092,2912086,2912083,2912077]