Make time for me-time: a starter guide to self-care

AXA Make time for me-time-min.jpeg

The dilemma of the sandwich generation
In today’s fast-paced society, getting lost and overwhelmed is almost inevitable. More so for the sandwich generation, who has to care for their parents while caring for their own family too. This generation spends up to 25 percent of their income on their aging parents, and the remaining 75 percent on their children ¹. On top of that, they also have to spend three to eight hours on household work since COVID ². This is the reality among 89 percent of the sandwich generation in Asia ³.

If you think you belong to this generation, here’s some truth: wanting a healthy and happy life for you and your family isn’t a crime. But it does come at a cost—you are so busy taking care of everyone around you, but who’s taking care of you?

It’s time to break the cycle of burnout
Whether you lack the time to practice self-care or find it hard to maintain a positive outlook, it’s time to address what keeps you from reaching an optimal point in your health and well-being. It might be easy to think that self-care is a luxury, but it doesn’t have to be.

Self-care is a right
If you take care of yourself first, you’ll be more than capable of caring for others just as well. Your emotions are contagious. When you treat yourself right, you reflect it to the people you love. Always remember that spreading positivity starts with yourself.

Knowing your limits is also one way to start. It helps to dedicate a space to pursue what makes you happy and to protect your well-being amid all the responsibilities.

All these may be easier said than done. That’s why leading insurance provider, AXA Philippines, provides a wide variety of offerings to help one get started on their journey to self-care. AXA is a firm believer in prioritizing your own needs. Its newest campaign talks about the importance of incorporating me-time into your everyday life.

AXA Philippines believes that healthcare starts with self-care. Choosing AXA Philippines to be your partner could guarantee an experience of care like no other. If you're looking for the best-in class health coverage, AXA offers Global Health Access which covers exams that take a comprehensive look at your physical health, including diagnosing critical illnesses. It also offers health coverage of up to 175 million pesos and allows you to reimburse supplements.

Another plan is Health Care Access which not only provides comprehensive protection but also includes teleconsultation that gives easy access to doctors and mental health services to keep both your physical and mental state in check.

For more affordable plans, AXA also offers Health Start and Health Start Lite. Health Start covers critical illnesses including diagnosis and prevention tests for breast and ovarian cancers that often affect women. With this, your physical and mental health is one less thing to worry about. Meanwhile, Health Start Lite covers the top three illnesses– cancer, stroke, and heart attack, as well as nine minor critical illnesses.

For the sandwich generation that always puts themselves last, AXA is ready to help you put yourself first! AXA offers healthcare insurance plans that can take care of you holistically—no matter what your needs may be. Find out more about which plan fits you and your lifestyle at official website.

¹ 11 to 25 percent of income spent on care for aging parents, Source: Fidelity and Economist Intelligence Unit, “Feeling The Squeeze: Asia’s Sandwich Generation,” 2010

² Three to eight hours+ extra time spent in household work since COVID, Source: UOB ASEAN Consumer Sentiment Study, 2020

³ 89 percent support recurring costs fort aging parents (medical, etc.), Source: HSBC Survey, “Taking Care of Elderly Parents Creates Financial Strain on Asia’s Affluent”