BOC orders release of abandoned balikbayan boxes

Published August 16, 2022, 9:39 AM

by Aaron Recuenco 

Bureau of Customs (BOC_ Commissioner Yogi Filemon Ruiz has approved the release of balikbayan boxes of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) that were abandoned by two cargo companies.

The order came after a meeting with the Door -to-Door Consolidators Association of the Philippines (DDCAP) to discuss measures to fast-track the release and delivery of the boxes.

The Bureau of Customs (BOC) and the Door-to-Door Consolidators Association of the Philippines (DDCAP) discuss measures to expedite the release of abandoned balikbayan boxes of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs). (photo: BOC)

Ruiz said that as of last month, a total of seven containers were released.

“We expect to complete the delivery by the end of August. This is our initiative to help our OFWs” said Ruiz.

The balikbayan boxes were abandoned by CMG International Movers and Cargo Services and Cargoflex Haulers Corporation, according to the BOC.

He said an additional 27 containers of abandoned balikbayan boxes will be auctioned off to the DDCAP and sent to the consignees.

Ruiz said a Balikbayan Box Assistance Unit will be created to monitor the immediate expeditious release and delivery of the balikbayan boxes and to serve as the primary communications center of the consignees.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[3063815,3098827,3098821,3098772,3098735,3098732,3098814]