Outgoing President Duterte has ordered his transition teams to prepare for the turnover of power and responsibilities to the upcoming administration as he is expected to meet his successor, presumptive president Ferdinand ”Bongbong” Marcos Jr., in the coming weeks.
Communications Secretary Martin Andanar on Tuesday said the President already gave his marching orders regarding the transfer of powers.
First was about the inauguration of the upcoming president, which is set on June 30; and the other was about the transition plans of all the departments.
”So far yun lang ang transition orders na binigay samin (So far, we were given transition orders). As to the mode of transition, we are given a free hand,” he said in his press briefing.
Included in the transition report was the Department of Energy’s recommendation about the use of nuclear energy, according to Andanar.
Earlier this May, Malacañang formed a transition committee to ensure the smooth transfer of power to the next president. Duterte even signed Administrative Order No. 47 to form the Presidential Transition Committee, chaired by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea, to “work closely with the representatives of the president-elect.”
On the other hand, Andanar said Duterte and his transition teams have not yet met with nor reached out to the camp of the next president. The President also has no comments about Marcos Jr.’s choices for his Cabinet, he added.
“Ang alam ko ay hinihintay pa natin ang official proclamation (What I know is we’re still waiting for the official proclamation),” Andanar said.
Regarding the inauguration rites, Andanar said, it will depend on the plan of the presumptive president. But he is “very certain that those protocols and traditions would be followed.”
Asked if Duterte will meet Marcos Jr. even before the inauguration, Andanar said: “We will wait for further announcement.”