Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año has recommended two names to replace the incumbent chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP) who is set to retire on May 8.
He said he had already submitted the recommendation to President Duterte along with the National Police Commission (NAPOLCOM) Resolution 2022-0236.
“I have submitted the names of two senior police officials who may be designated by the President as the replacement of Gen. Dionardo Carlos in an acting capacity upon his retirement on May 8, 2022,” said Año.
He, however, did not name the two senior police officials.
But as Carlos’ retirement falls a day before the May 9 national and local elections, Año did not rule out the possibility of Carlos’ extension from public service but emphasized that it is up to the President if he wishes to do so.
“Possible pa din (Carlos’) extension. Discretion pa din ni PRRD (President Rodrigo Roa Duterte) yan (Carlos’s extension is possible. But it is still the discretion of PRRD),’’ he added.