BI bars 688 human trafficking victims from leaving PH

Published February 25, 2022, 5:39 PM

by Jun Ramirez

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) said it has stopped 688 human trafficking victims from leaving the country last year at various international ports in the country.

Likewise, it deferred the departure of more than 13,000 passengers many of whom were believed illegally recruited by labor syndicate’s.

BI Commissioner Jaime Morente came out with the statistics to warn aspiring Overseas Filipino Workers about the danger of seeking jobs abroad with false travel papers.

The BI chief said despite vigilance exerted by immigration officers trafficking rings continue to prey on hapless compatriots desiring to better the lives of their families in this trying times

He said labor syndicate’s are using the same strategies in sending their victims abroad for huge fees.

These included the use of falsified overseas employment certificates, fake stamps of the Philippine Overseas Employment Agency, fake marriage certificate with alien spouse, and minors using the identities of their elders to work as domestic helpers mostly in the Middle East.

These ploys are easily detected by trained immigration officers, but others still managed to leave.

“It is very disappointing that many victims believed the false promises of illegal recruiters, made-up stories and fraudulently acquired travel papers,” Morente lamented.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2940430,3007124,3007121,3007116,3007113,3007110,3007107]