An official of the Department of Education (DepEd) on Friday, Feb. 11, said that “increased confidence” among stakeholders was observed during the first week of implementing the expansion phase of limited face-to-face classes.
Citing initial reports from the participating regions, Education Undersecretary Nepomuceno Malaluan said that the expansion phase of limited face-to-face classes proceeded smoothly.
Malaluan cited the smooth implementation of expanded face-to-face classes to the success of the pilot run conducted from November to December last year. “Maganda iyong nagkaroon tayo ng pilot face to face ay tumaas iyong kumpiyansa ng ating mga stakeholders na matagumpay na mai-expand natin (It’s good that we were able to have a face-to-face pilot that increased the confidence of our stakeholders as we can successfully expand),” he said.
The results of the pilot run, Malaluan said, also increased the confidence of the President that DepEd can proceed to the progressive expansion phase.
Malaluan said that the progressive expansion of face-to-face classes started in areas under Alert Level 2 which include the National Capital Region (NCR), Batanes, Bulacan, Rizal, Cavite, Southern Leyte, and Biliran.
The dates when schools commenced with the expansion phase of limited face-to-face classes vary. The majority of these expansion schools, Malaluan explained, decided to start the implementation of expanded face-to-face classes in time for the opening of the third quarter or Quarter 3 of School Year (SY) 2021-2022 starting Feb. 7.
Citing DepEd’s latest data, Malaluan said that there are over 6,000 schools nationwide that have been assessed and “were deemed ready” to resume limited face-to-face classes.
“And kung ang pag-uusapan iyong mga paaralan sa buong bansa na handa na basta maging Alert Level 2 ay ang report sa atin ng mga regional directors, we have more than 6,000 schools that are ready to join the expanded phase at parami ng parami ang handa na iyan, basta ma-comply na nila iyong ating school safety assessment, (When it comes to schools across the country that are ready once they are Alert Level 2, our regional directors reported that we have more than 6,000 schools that are ready to join the expanded phase and we are expecting more long as they can comply with our school safety assessment),” he added.