An opposition leader in the House of Representatives on Friday, Jan. 28 expressed alarm over reports of “political interferences” in the resolution of the disqualification case filed against presidential aspirant former Sen. Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.
Deputy Minority Leader and Bayan Muna Rep. Carlos Isagani Zarate warned that the alleged delay in the release of the Comelec’s First Division decision resulting from “political interferences” will ‘cast serious doubts on the independence” of the poll body.
The reported intrusion into the case was exposed on Thursday by Comelec Commissioner Rowena Guanzon who was forced to reveal her decision on the issue.
Guanzon told a television interview that she voted to disqualify Marcos because he was sentenced in a crime involving moral turpitude - a ground for the disqualification of a candidate under the Omnibus Election Code.
"Why the long delay? The speedy resolution and the gravity that this decision carry are matters that cannot be taken for granted by the Comelec. Is there a deliberate ploy to await first the retirement of the three (3) current Comelec commissioners before the decision is promulgated?,” asked Zarate.
“This is seriously concerning as the Commission will be peopled solely by Duterte appointees after February 2," he warned.
Guanzon, who was appointed during the administration of the late President Benigno C. Aquino III, is set to retire soon.
"Whatever the decision will be, the earlier this is decided by the Comelec, the better so as to give the parties ample time to even seek an appeal before the Supreme Court. What is at stake here is not only the political future of a convicted tax evader but the survival of our country as well,” said Zarate.